Jumpstart is the newest addition to the portfolio of educational programs under the umbrella
of the Community Leadership Center. The Center operates a comprehensive preschool program serving 90 children every year and working with the LEAP Academy to reach 780 students in grades K-12. A unique partnership with Jumpstart makes
Rutgers-Camden the first Jumpstart site in New Jersey. Each year Jumpstart invests outstanding efforts to develop new partnerships with various colleges
and universities. This year, over 3,900 college students nationwide will bring their enthusiasm,
dedication, and determination to change the lives of thousands of preschool children to
classrooms across the nation.
Reaching Our Youngest Learners
This year, Jumpstart at Rutgers-Camden will reach out to over 30 children at the LEAP Academy Charter School with the vision to expand to other childcare facilities in Camden in the following years. Jumpstart mission is greatly driven by the college students (Jumpstart Corps Members) who
commit to 300 hours of work during an academic year to contribute to an assigned child’s
growth and development. Jumpstart Corps Members enjoy a range of important benefits for the important work they do:
- They have an opportunity to either earn a Federal Work-Study award or academic credit while making a significant difference in the life of a child;
- They become part of a nationwide network of AmeriCorps members and alumni;
- They acquire transferable and marketable skills through an extensive innovative Jumpstart training program;
- They earn a $1,000 Education Award to pay for your academic expenses upon the successful completion of the program.
Jumpstart Corps Member have a direct impact on a child’s life by:
- Working one-on-one with an assigned preschool child on reading, writing and social skills;
- Working with a team of motivated students to deliver quality learning sessions to preschool students;
- Receiving comprehensive career training in early childhood education and community leadership;
- Engaging in a variety of community service events targeted at children and their families;
- Serving 12-15 hours a week for a full school year (300 hours total).
To apply or to get additional information,
Please direct any questions to
Daysi Morales, JumpStart Site Manager