Department of Public Policy and Administration
Master’s in Public Administration – Community Development Specialization for Puerto Rico
About the Program
Rutgers University–Camden’s Department of Public Policy and Administration, in collaboration with the Rutgers–Camden Community Leadership Center and the Center for Puerto Rico, is pleased to offer an MPA program with a specialization in Community Development. The program reflects the university’s efforts to expand its reach globally, and is designed to contribute to local community and economic development efforts in under-served communities. Courses are taught in Puerto Rico and admission is limited to students who reside in Puerto Rico. Our preference is for students who are active in local community development efforts. All classes are offered using a hybrid format that combines in person and online teaching.
Completion of 30 credits of course work, and 12 credits for documented work experience.
- Course of Study Curriculum (30 Credits)
- 501 Foundations of Policy Analysis (3 credits)
- 515 Introduction to Budgeting and Finance (3 credits)
- 525 Public and Nonprofit Management (3 credits)
- 535 Research Methods (3 credits)
- 536 Public Information Systems (3 credits)
- 558 Leadership and Communication (3 credits)
- 603 Community Development Theory (3 credits)
- 604 Alternative Development Strategies (3 credits)
- 612 Local Knowledge (3 credits)
- 675 (Capstone) Research Workshop (3 credits)
- Work Experience (12 Credits)
- Total: 42 Credits
Who can apply
This highly selective, 42-credit program, is ideal for individuals with experience in community development, the non-profit sector, government, and the private sector, and who possess at least five years of documented managerial experience in the field of community or economic development.
Criteria for Admissions
- At least five years of documented managerial experience;
- A minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0;
- An official undergraduate transcript from an accredited institution;
- Two letters of reference; and
- Demonstrated commitment to public service, expressed in a personal statement.
All applications must be filed online. To apply, please visit: https://grad.admissions.rutgers.edu/GraduateProgram/Detail.aspx?code=56831%20%20PR°ree=MPA
Students can finance their degree by working with the Rutgers University-Camden Office of Financial Aid. Please visit their website at https://financialaid.rutgers.edu for more information.
In addition, we have a limited number of Puerto Rico EMPA scholarships available Interested applicants, please contact Ms. Gloribel García Pérez, M.S., (Local Liaison) at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (787) 765-4500 for more information.
Ms. Gloribel García Pérez, M.S.
Center for Puerto Rico